During my time as a reporter at The Patriot-News, I covered everything from municipal and state government to the cops beat. I don’t have a count of how many stories I wrote, but I wrote a lot of them. Most are locked away behind PennLive’s archival paywall these days. Luckily, before that happened, I was able to save clips from some of my more memorable packages.
Amish School Shootings
In October 2006, a heavily armed man took hostage the students of an Amish school near Lancaster, Pa. He left the boys go free, then shot the girls execution style. I was the lead reporter for The Patriot-News’ first day coverage and part of a five-reporter team that won statewide honors for our coverage.
- ‘ANGRY AT GOD’: Vengeful gunman targets girls, killing at least 3 and self
- Miller defends police action: Troopers tried to communicate with Roberts before shooting began
- Amish return site of their tragedy to the land
- Heartbreaking: In their own newspaper, Amish reach out, thank outside world for reaction to shootings
- HEALING. SLOWLY.
- ‘Therapeutic’: Families, first responders share emotional day
Salute to Sacrifice
In the early days of the seond Iraq war, I had the honor of writing about some of the first soldiers in our circulation area to give their lives for their country.
- She ‘died in his arms’: Monroe Twp. family recalls soldier killed by bomb in Iraq
- ‘A TRUE HERO’: Victim of Iraqi bomb honored on West Shore
- Service & sacrifice: Soldiers’ deaths bring Iraq war home (intro to three stories below)
- His girlfriend never got to tell him ‘yes’
- Soldier died ‘doing what he liked best’
- Love grew with their careers
During the 2008 presidential election, I was part of the team covering the Democrat primary election, then was assigned to cover the McCain campaign in the general election. In addition to these print stories, I also did extensive blogging, including live-blogging from McCain and Obama campaign events.
- Obama fights back in Steelton remarks
- Kennedy: Obama inspires people, works tirelessly
- Final push is on in Pennsylvania
- McCain juggles bipartisanship, conservative pitch in York (intro to three stories below)
- Ridge won’t lobby to run with McCain
- McCain adviser stops off in midstate: Some see visit as attempt to court women voters
- Time to rally, Palin tells Lancaster crowd
- Pennsylvania is key to victory, McCain’s wife tells rally
In addition to serving as the Sunday night cops reporter for over five years, I spent two years as the paper’s primarty police reporter.
An attorney/gun enthusiast gets killed with his own weapon while shooting at a gun range.
- Police seize 15 guns from Raymond Peake’s home
- Rifle found in a storage unit rented by Raymond Peake matches the weapon used in killing, police say
A missing woman, a frantic search, and a jilted lover made for a compelling crime story.
- Missing sibling worries family
- Search area widens for Rye woman
- ‘WE ARE NO CLOSER’
- No leads found in search for woman
- Wine glasses taken for testing
- Perry body was homicide victim
- Police take journals, photos from friend of woman believed slain
- Lawyer says Nevada arrest puts focus on victim’s friend
- Client won’t attend Pierson service, lawyer says
- Probe shifts to woman’s workplace
- Probe of Pierson slaying is wide, police say
- Police seek phone records of 2 in woman’s slaying
- Warrant for gun matches case dates
- Evidence will aid alibi, lawyer says
BASEBALL (from York Daily Record)
- Revs suffer rain-shortened loss to close out series against Lancaster
- Cody pitches Revs past Ducks
- Revs’ plan works perfectly vs. Lancaster
- Revs are all wet after rain delay, fall to Riversharks
- Revs suffer frustrating 13-7 loss to Bluefish
- Revolution lose to Lancaster Barnstormers in walkoff fashion
Clips linked below are from The Patriot-News unless otherwise indicated.
- This coach ‘puts all of her heart and soul into it’
- Pottsville Maroons fans seek what was stolen from them
- Biggest Little Leaguer in the World
- Trails don’t just grow naturally
- Hikers claim midstate snow means time to go
- Speedgoat Karl faces wet start to record attempt (Whiteblaze)
- Cultivating hikers’ path
- Appalachian Trail supporters look for ways to preserve the trail from nearby development.
- County given high-profile role in protecting Appalachian Trail
- Historic Appalachian Trail shelter to be dismantled
- Doyle Hotel carves niche with hikers
- Ice cream cools hikers at midpoint
- Haven at Halfway (pdf file) (AT Journeys)
- Expedition Subzero (pdf file) (AT Journeys)
- Recipe for a Trail Name (pdf file) (AT Journeys)
- To hikers, 3-day buffet is ‘trail magic’
- Along some trout streams in the midstate, it’s always OPEN SEASON
- Dam removal is right course for stream, groups say
- Streaming in: Waterway draws fly-fishermen from all over the world